News on the remaining environmental objectives and amendments
The EU Taxonomy (Regulation (EU) 2020/852) defines 6 environmental objectives, which are climate change mitigation, climate change adaptation, transition to circular economy, sustainable use and protection of water and marine resources, pollution prevention and control, and protection and restoration of biodiversity and ecosystems. Until now, the EU Commission has adopted the Climate Delegated Act (EU) 2021/2139, which includes sustainability requirements on the environmental objectives’ climate change mitigation and climate change adaptation.
On the 5th of April, the EU Commission launched a public call for feedback ending on the 3rd of May about the so called Environmental Delegated Act that includes the requirements for the remaining 4 environmental objectives.
In addition, the Commission has also drafted an amendment to the Climate Delegated Act (EU) 2021/2139 that includes changes to existing sustainability definitions and new economic activities in the Manufacturing and Transport sector. These activities are:
- Manufacture of automotive and mobility components,
- Manufacture of rail constituents,
- Manufacture, installation, and servicing of high, medium, and low voltage electrical equipment for electrical transmission and distribution that result in or enable a substantial contribution to climate change mitigation,
- Manufacturing of aircraft
- Leasing of aircraft
- Passenger and freight air transport
- Air transport ground handling operations
These amendments clearly emphasize that the EU Taxonomy Regulation is a living document that encourages sustainability managers and decision makers to stay up to date on the latest knowledge for compliance.
The EU Commission is expected to adopt both, the Environmental Delegated Act and amendments to the Climate Delegated Act in June this year, following the public feedback period.